> Queer Books Please: Episode 6 - More Historical Fiction Please

Friday, February 22, 2013

Episode 6 - More Historical Fiction Please

After recording this episode, I realize that all I'm really trying to say is that I want more quality queer historical fiction in my life. Before I get there, though, I talk about two mainstream, contemporary novels, and your romance novel of the week.

Show notes, embedded audio file, and a direct download of the episode below the break. You can also download the show on iTunes.








direct download

Your romance novel of the week is EVERY SECOND COUNTS by D. Jackson Leigh. I had some issues with it, but the writing is good, and the sex scenes show up early and often.

SING YOU HOME by Jodi Picoult is a  story about a woman who, after a bunch of terrible things happen to her, falls in love with another woman. Also, there's a big legal battle with some homophobes. Picoult is a lovely writer, and treats her characters--even the antagonists--rather gently. I was moved by the romance, but I didn't find the politics particularly compelling. After reading something that was rather optimistic about life and people, it was a big (fun!) turnaround to read PROSPECT PARK WEST by Amy Sohn. Not a lot of lesbian content, but biting satire about moms in Brooklyn. I found it amusing.


My favorite read this week was MAP OF IRELAND by Stephanie Grant, a fantastic book set in Boston in the 70s,. Picoult paints broad strokes when talking about political issues, but Grant shows how very personal the political can be. Highly recommend this book. Made me want to read more historical fiction. Two of my favorites:

THE NIGHT WATCH by Sarah Waters 
BITTERSWEET by Nevada Barr

Also, check out this very thoughtful post from Nicola Griffith on why historical fiction may be a popular genre for lesbian writers. I'm looking forward to her book, HILD, coming out late this year.

MICRO REVIEWS












Music used this episode






Expedition Chant Cup (Music For Your Plants) / CC BY-NC 3.0

No comments:

Post a Comment