> Queer Books Please: Episode 11 - Before Coming Out Books

Friday, March 29, 2013

Episode 11 - Before Coming Out Books

This episode is not about guidebooks to coming out or anything like that: it's about a few books I read before I came out that featured small but important lesbian moments. These moments had a huge impact on me. I also talk about a recent book that I think might do the same for young lesbians today. Also, your romance novel of the week and some more musing on self-publishing.

Listen below the cut or download on iTunes.









direct download


R. E. Bradshaw's thoughtful post on why she self publishes and what she would want from a publisher to give up her independence.

Money quote complete with extended pie metaphor:
What would entice me to give up the complete control self-publishing affords me? Why the publisher of my dreams, of course. And what would that look like, you may ask? I’ll tell you. I’m sure publishers do provide many of the things of which I dream, but I want it all in one bundle. Too selfish? Too self absorbed? Maybe, but if I’m giving up some of my pie, I’m of the mind that I should get some whip cream to go with my remaining share in return. My speaking openly about the business side of writing may take some of the romance out of the profession, but the sad truth is, publishing is a business. Gone are the days of the starving writer, while the publisher eats most of the pie. We're pulling up to the table, ladies. Pass the whip cream.
I think Bradshaw is getting at the heart of this issue here. Authors who self publish are accepting the business side of the industry. It's admirable, but I think there's also an argument to be made that if the author is thinking too much about business, true art may get left behind.

I'm continuing to think about this issue, trying to think about what all this means for readers in the short and long term.

More exciting self publishing news




Books discussed this week:

BEFORE IT STAINS by R. E. Bradshaw
HORSE HEAVEN by Jane Smiley
ARROWS OF THE QUEEN by Mercedes Lackey
KISSING THE WITCH by Emma Donoghue
UNSPOKEN by Sarah Rees Brennan

Micro Reviews!












Music used this episode



Please Mind the Dubstep (Bitbasic) / CC BY-NC-SA 3.0

Disco High (UltraCat) / CC BY 3.0

No comments:

Post a Comment