> Queer Books Please: So many books, so little time

Sunday, April 7, 2013

So many books, so little time

My wife went to work today, so I had most of the day to myself. Not much to do beside try and catch up with reading, noting taking, blog-post-drafting, and other podcast related tasks. The read is the most daunting task of all. Take a look at this picture of the top of my bookshelf. Ignore the charming cats.



The black cat is sitting on my "finished/need to talk about/re-shelve/return to library" pile. The middle pile are all the books currently on my "I'll get to it at some point" list. And the pile behind the white kitty are all the books I hope to read ASAP.

Why yes, it does seem completely reasonable to have over ten books in that pile!

And no, that doesn't include several recent downloads on my kindle.

The good news is that even though the amount of titles I want to get to is rather daunting, I read fast, and I love it. Today I finished a historical fiction novel I've been working on for a couple weeks, read a pulp fiction novel in a couple hours, and now I'm debating whether I should read some of the Willa Cather I need to get to before the collection of her letters come out; or mainline some issues of Y the Last Man; or start in on another old pulp title.

Maybe I'll just do a little bit of all three. Jaci is a knitter, and she tells me that many knitters have coined a phrase, "startosis," meaning that you're starting too many things at one time. But I'm not sure that's such a terrible condition. If embracing the bounty and multitasking is what it takes to keep you engaged, do it. It's a far better path than losing interest. And you may find that you're more capable of keeping your plate full than you realized.





No comments:

Post a Comment