> Queer Books Please: Episode 4 - Valentine's Day Gifts

Friday, February 8, 2013

Episode 4 - Valentine's Day Gifts

This week, I continue to insist that a good book makes the perfect Valentine's Day gift.  Also your romance novel of the week is completely different than the cover might suggest, and I give some specific suggestions of books that make good gifts for girls you might like.

Embedded link and direct download below. You can also subscribe to Queer Books Please on ITunes.







direct download


I picked this week's romance novel because one of the main characters was a veterinarian, and I dig that. But the book was surprisingly sweet. I recommend it!
Battle Scars by Meghan O'Brien


And here's some titles that might make good Valentine's Day gifts. All of these books are worth checking out, even if you aren't getting them as a gift for someone. 

The Magician's Assistant by Anne Patchett  - recommended as a book you can give anyone, even your secret crush. A fantastic piece of fiction with a delicious suggestion of lesbian possibility.

The Wombat Strategy by Claire McNab - although the whole series may be difficult to find, this book and the rest of the series are fun, well plotted, and sexy without being explicit. A good gift for someone who might be new to lesbian fiction.

Dare Truth or Promise by Paula Boock  - I think giving someone a YA book that moved you as a teenager is a great way to help them get to know you. I read a lot of books when I was a teenaged baby dyke, but this is probably the one I would give to someone if I wanted them to know how I felt when I was 16.

Girl Fever: 69 Stories of Sudden Sex for Lesbians edited by Sacchi Green - I wanted to recommend something for those of you that want to give a super sexy gift, but the problem with erotica anthologies is that they tend to cater towards specific tastes--and when they do offer a wide variety of stories, you're likely to not care for some of them. Because the quantity however, you don't feel like you're missing out when you skip to the next one. They're also short, which means they're perfect for, oh, say, reading aloud with your lover.

Landing by Emma Donoghue  - A wise, funny, sometimes sad, and very romantic novel. Donoghue is very wise about the nature of love. Specifically recommended to anyone who has ever had to deal with a long distance between you and your girlfriend, but also recommended to anyone and everyone. A great romantic read--and a good gift, I think!



Music used in this episode:

Dance it, Dance All (Motel Costes Mix) (The Easton Ellises) / CC BY-NC-SA 3.0







No comments:

Post a Comment